Speak - Study Guide Questions - Daily Reading & Responses

Picture of Ross Greiner
September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by Ross Greiner - Thursday, September 9, 2010, 9:57 AM

Select 5 and respond.

1. Discuss Melinda’s “place of refuge” and how she describes it.

2. What happens to Melinda when she attends the pep rally? Why do you think she doesn’t report the harassment to the school officials? Identify a time you or someone you know had a similar experience.

3. What does Melinda reveal about the preceding summer?

4. Explain the paradox of the cheerleaders as Melinda views them.

5. What does Melinda paint the week after the pep rally? Why is this significant?

6. What happens when Melinda visits Heather on Columbus Day? What do you think this reveals about Heather?

7. Contrast the homes and families of Heather and Melinda.

8. How do Melinda’s parents react about her grades? How would your parents react in a similar situation?

9. Trace the significant events in Melinda’s life following the confrontation with her parents.

10. Who are the Martha’s? Why are they important to the story? Are you or anyone you know a “Martha?” Explain your answer.

11. What will happen between David Petrakis and the social studies teacher?

12. Analyze the significance of Melinda’s nightmare about IT. What does IT symbolize?

13. Will Melinda continue to remain silent about what happened at the party?

fish with shades
Re: September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by Sierra Juvonen - Friday, September 10, 2010, 5:42 PM

3. Melinda reveals that last summer she had called the cops at a guy named Kyle Roger’s party. Something bad had happened that night and when she called the cops most of the people had gotten in trouble, and that is why everyone is shunning her or bullying her. Melina says, “I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party, and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd who hates me for what I had to do. I can’t tell them what really happened” (Anderson 28).

4. From Melinda’s point of view the cheerleaders at MerryweatherHigh school are girls who are hiding their real lives under the pounds of makeup that they wear and the perfect smiles that they give the teachers. She also thinks that these girls are perfect and don’t have any problems or bad things happening to them, such as, getting in trouble like Melinda always tends to do. “In one universe, they are gorgeous, straight-teethed, long-legged, wrapped in designer fashions, and given sports cars on their sixteenth birthdays” (Anderson 30).

5. A week after the pep rally Melinda paints, yet again, another tree, but this time it is symbolic to what she is feeling even though she doesn’t think so. “Two vertical lines for the trunk. Maybe some thick branches, a bunch of little branches, and plenty of leaves to hide the mistakes” (Anderson 32). When she says there will be leaves to hide the mistakes she is making a comparison between herself and the tree. The cheerleaders have made her feel imperfect and ugly so when she drew the tree she wants to cover up all her mistakes so she can seem perfect like the cheerleaders and try to forget that what happened at the party ever happened.

6. When Melinda visits Heather on Columbus Day Heather begins to rant about how unfair it is that you have to be in a certain clique or certain social status to do something or be something. When Melinda, or “Mellie”, says, “We are nobody” (Anderson 34) Heather bursts out that all Melinda ever does is mope around and then she bursts into tears on her bed. Shortly after another outburst, Melinda leaves. I think Heather’s naïve attitude about how social statuses work shows that she came from a small town in Ohio where everybody new everyone. Back home, she probably had a million friends, but here she is alone and desperate to fit in; hence the wanting to be in all the cliques.

13. I don’t think that Melinda will continue to keep silent about what happened at the party because the title of the book is Speak which makes me think Melinda is going to tell someone. Inside she is slowing crumbling to pieces and I don’t think she can hold out much longer without telling anyone and releasing all the pressure from what happened from inside.

Picture of Madeline King
King, Maddie September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by Madeline King - Friday, September 10, 2010, 8:52 PM

1)Melinda's "place of refuge" is the janitors closet she found when she was avoiding Mr. Neck. She says "this closet is abandoned-it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me" (Anderson 26). Melinda has finally found a place where she can escape from everyone and everything, and just be alone.

4)The way Melinda views the cheerleaders is "as if they operate in two realities simultaneously" (Anderson 30). In one life, they are the perfect cheerleaders that everyone loves, and in another all they do is throw crazy parties.

5)All Melinda paints the week after the pep rally is trees being hit by lightning. She tries "...to paint them so they are nearly dead, but not totally" (Anderson 31). I think this symbolizes how Miranda feels about herself and her life right now.

6)When Melinda visits Heather on Columbus Day, Heather suggests that they should try the school musical. Melinda doesn't like the idea, and says its because "'we are nobody'" (Anderson 34). Then, Heather starts crying about how hard it is to fit in, and how she feels like she doesn't belong. I think that this reveals that Heather just wants to fit in and have friends and be in more of a popular crowd.

8)Melinda's parents react to her grades by getting pretty upset. Her mom is a little kinder when she speaks to Melinda, but her dad is pretty forceful. If my parents were in that same situation, they would definitely say that I needed to get them up, but they wouldn't yell at me or anything.
Awww!
by Maanasa Srinivasan - Friday, September 10, 2010, 9:07 PM

3. Melinda reveals that she called the cops at a Kyle Rodger's party. This is why she is always being ignored or left out, everybody hates her for calling the cops at the party. Melinda has tried to ignore the party and fit in again, but it doesn't work. "I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party, and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd that hates me for what I had to do" (Anderson 28).

5. Melinda paints a tree the week after the pep rally. This is no ordinary tree because it's very significant, and shows how Melinda feels inside. Melinda feel even more hated after the pep rally. She draws some branches, a trunk, "...and plenty of leaves to cover up the mistakes" (Anderson 32). She feels like she needs to just cover up what happened at the party. She knows that no one understands why she called the cops. She thinks of herself as the tree and uses the leaves to cover her mistakes up.

7. Heather's and Melinda's families are very different. Just by the way Heather acts I can tell that Heather's had pleasant relationship with her mom and dad, unlike Melinda. Heather's mom is always nice to be around. When Melinda came over to Heather's house, she was overjoyed to see Melinda and immediately made them hot chocolate. "...Heather's mom acts very excited to see me" (Anderson 32). In Melinda's house it's almost always unpleasant. Her mom and dad argue with her on her grades, and leave her notes instead of actually communicating with her. Clearly, Heather lives in a lot more peaceful and happy family than Melinda.

8. Melinda's parents react horribly at the sight of her report card. Her mom wants her to do her best, and she knows that Melinda is capable of doing better. Her dad on the other hand is just furious and thinks Melinda is trying to get away by not telling them when she fails. "You get those grades up or your name is mud" (Anderson 35-36). In the end Melinda gets up, washes her plate, and goes to her room, leaving her parents still arguing alone. If my parents are in a similar situation things would be a bit different. My mom would be mad, but she would encourage me to do better. My dad would say he knows I did my best, but next time give it a better try. Effectively, my parents and Melinda's are a lot different.

13. I don't think that Melinda will remain silent about the party. I can feel the tension building up inside her when I read the book, and I'm sure she'll eventually tell somebody about what really happened at the party. She even cries because of what the Marthas say about her behind her back. "The salt in my tears felt good when it stings my lips..." (Anderson 45). To add to this, the book is called Speak and I think that this is about her and how she learns how to get her voice and her friends back. To wrap up, this is why I think that Melinda will tell somebody about the party.
Picture of Jaymie Leigh Ackerman
Ackerman, Jaymie 9-10-10-Literary Terms
by Jaymie Leigh Ackerman - Friday, September 10, 2010, 9:24 PM

3. Melinda reveals that she called the cops at a Kyle Rodger's party. This is why she always feels left out. Melinda has tried to not talk about the party and join a clan, but it doesn't seem to work. "I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party, and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd that hates me for what I had to do" (Anderson 28).

4. From Melinda’s point of view the cheerleaders at Merryweather High school are popular girls who are hiding thier thoughts. She also thinks that these girls are kind of suck ups to the teachers. She sees their outside life as throwing party's, and getting into trouble.  “In one universe, they are gorgeous, straight-teethed, long-legged, wrapped in designer fashions, and given sports cars on their sixteenth birthdays” (Anderson 30).

6.When Melinda visits Heather on Columbus Day, Heather thinks that they should try a school musical. Melinda doesn't like the idea, and says its because "'we are nobody'" (Anderson 34). Then, Heather starts crying, because it is hard to fit in, and she feels the need to be in a certain clan.

8. Melinda's parents react to her grades by getting very tense and upset. Her mom is more kind when she mentions it  to Melinda, but her dad is pretty rude about it. If my parents saw my grades like that, they would be pretty upset about my grades, but they wouldn't be that fierce about it at all.

13. I don't think that Melinda will remain silent about the party. She seems like she can't hold it in any longer, and  I think that she will eventually tell one of her new friends.  Also, the book is called Speak and I think that this is about Melinda standing up for what she thinks, and the way she communicates with people.

Picture of Maggie Chuang
Chuang, Maggie September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by Maggie Chuang - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 9:31 AM

1. Melinda's "place of refuge" is an old janitor's closet in the Senior's Wing. "This closet is abandoned - it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me" (Anderson 26). I think Melinda feels like she will never be found by her friends if she stays in there.

2. At the pep rally, Melinda is confronted by others about what happended over the summer. "I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party, and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd that hates me for what I had to do" (Anderson 28). I think she doesn't report harassment because she would be asked for a reason why she being bullied, and she doesn't want to bring that subject up. One friend I had felt bad about something, but she wasn't ready to tell anyone yet.

5. "For a solid week, ever since the pep rally, I've been painting watercolors of trees that have been hit by lightning. I try to paint them so they are nearly dead, but not totally" (Anderson 31). I think this reflects how she feels after being bullied at the rally. She was struck by such a painful memory, and feels more hurt and weighed down than ever before.

7. Heather's house seems more exspensive than Melinda's. "Her bookcase has glass doors. She has a television and a phone, and her homework is neatly laid out on her desk" (Anderson 33). There also seems to be a better family connection for Heather than there is for Melinda. At Melinda's house, her family barely talks to each other, and Heather's mom is always invovled when the two girls hang out.

13. I think that Melinda will continue to be silent about the party. This experience has torn her up, and made her an outcast at her school. "I have enetered high school with the wrong hair, the wrong clothes, the wrong attitude. And I don't have anyone to sit with" (Anderson 4). Since she feels so awful about it, bringing it up will only hurt her more. If she keeps quiet, then she might never have to think about it again.

Florida Gators
by Adam Schane - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 9:36 AM

1. Melinda's place of refuge is an old abandoned janitors office. She describes it as the perfect place for her. "This closet is abandoned-it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me" (Andersen 26).

7. The home lives of Heather and Melinda are very different. Melinda's parents have very little involvement in her life, except for caring caring about her grades, but Heather's parents are very involved. "Heather's mom is very excited to see me" (Andersen 31).

8. Melinda's parents are very angry and upset about her poor grades. "' You get those grades up or your name is in mud. You hear me? Get them up'" (Andersen 35 36)! My parents would not yell at me, they would have a very strict talk about it. They, like Melinda's parents, care about my grades.

12. I think that IT is the person that assaulted Melinda on the night of the party. It is very significant that she sees IT at school, because it shows that her nightmare is still here. "IT smiles at me and winks.Good thing my lips are stitched together or I would throw up" (Andersen 46).

13. I think that for a while, Melinda will keep quite over what happened on the night of the party. But later on in the school year, she will have to end up having to tell someone because it will have been on her mind for so long.
Picture of Kseniya Anishchenko
by Kseniya Anishchenko - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 11:07 AM

2. When Melinda is at the pep rally, someone identifies her as the girl who called the cops on the party in the previous summer. Then, suddenly, everyone notices her. "A block of ice freezes our section of the bleachers. Heads snap in my direction with the sound of a hundred paparazzi cameras" (Anderson 28). One girl calls her a rude name and yanks her hair, another digs her knees into her back. By the end of the pep rally, she is knocked down three rows of bleachers. I think Melinda doesn't report the harassment to school officials because she is too scared to, because of what she did at the party and what had happened afterwards. I don't think she wanted to get any more people in trouble. Usually people are supposed to report bullies to the school - but many people don't, which I have been prone to do. They are way too scared to do so, for fear of what will happen to them later. That is why many people are still bullied when they could have stopped it.

6. When Melinda visits Heather on Columbus Day, Heather begins to recite her plans again to join a musical. Melinda retorts by saying that "We are nobody" (Anderson 34). Heather is deeply frustrated about that, not understanding why everyone in the whole school has her attitude and how in high school you have to be in a popular clique to get into a musical or other club. Heather wants to be popular, no doubt, and is getting very angry about the fact that, even after trying, she is still a nobody. Melinda doesn't help with the fact and has a way different attitude than Heather.

7. Heather's and Melinda's homes are completely different. Melinda has absolutely no closeness with her parents, rarely talks to them, and tells them about nothing going on in her life. As discussed in the previous chapter, the only communication they have most of the time is notes on the refrigerator. Heather's home seems to be a lot better, her family a lot more optimistic and involved in Heather's life. "Heather's mom acts very excited to see me. She makes us mugs of hot chocolate to take upstairs and tries to convince Heather to invite a whole group of friends for a sleepover" (Anderson 32). However, Melinda's parents seem to care less.

8. Melinda's parents react very negatively about her grades, which is understandable. Her dad yells at her to get her grades up, but her mom tries very hard to be nice about it, but fails as Melinda doesn't want to listen. They begin to shout in anger as Melinda leaves. "Deprived of Victim, Mom and Dad holler at each other. I turn up my music to drown out the noise" (Anderson 36). I am the one in charge of my grades, so if something like that would happen to me my parents would probably warn me to get my grades up and then do something more drastic. But that's just a guess, as I have never gotten lower than a B in my classes. My parents would be concerned about my grades, but probably not as much as Melinda's parents are.

13. I don't think Melinda will continue keeping silent about the party. The book is called Speak, which implies that she'll say something, and I think Melinda is tired of keeping it inside of her. However, I think she will tell someone by the end of the book, even though she is too scared to do it now. "You don't understand, my head voice answers. Too bad she can't hear it" (Anderson 28).
Picture of Kaari von Bernuth
by Kaari von Bernuth - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 1:38 PM

3.) Melinda reveals that last summer, she called the cops a party that a guy named Kyle Rodgers was hosting. It says in the book, "' Arn't you the one who called the cops at Kyle Rodger's party at the end of the summer?" (Anderson 27).

5.) The week after the pep rally Melinda paints water colors of trees that have been struck by lightning. It says in the book, " ... I've been painting watercolors of trees that have been hit by lightning. I try to paint them so they are nearly dead, but not totally. Mr. Freeman doesn't say a word to me about them. He just raises his eyebrows. One picture is so dark you can barely see teh tree at all," (Anderson 30-31).

6.) When Melinda goes over to Heather's house on Columbus Day, Heather starts talking about all of the groups she's going to join. Melinda isn't so positive and when Heather asks why she doesn't think they can do it Melinda says, "We are nobody," (Anderson 34). After that Heather has a total breakdown and starts crying. I think that this shows that Heather has big dreams in life, and she doesn't like when she's knocked down on her way to those dreams. I also think she needs to toughen up a little, if all it took was Melinda saying we are nobody for her to break, life's going to kick her in the butt.

8.) When Melinda's parents find out about her grades, they kind of flip out. It says in the book, "Mom: (creepy smile) 'Though you could put one over us, did you Melinda? Big high school student now, don't need to show your homework to your parents, don't need to show and failing test grades?' Dad: (Bands table, sliverware jumps) 'Cut the crap. She knows what's up. The interim reports came today. Listen to me young lady. I'm only going to say this once. You get those grades up or your name is mud. Hear me? Get them up!' (Attacks baked potato)," (Anderson 35-36). I think they were way too hard on her. They are already bad parents, they don't even talk to their daughter, they have a note system, but when they do talk to her and they don't notice she's depressed, then they don't deserve to have her. If I had bad grades, my mom would talk to me about it, and see what she could do to help me get them up. If I didn't understand something, she would try to explain it, and if I still didn't get it then she would find someone that could. She wouldn't yell at me the way Melinda's parents did. 

13.) I don't think Melinda will remain silent about the party. After all, the title of the story is called Speak. I also think that she will talk, because she's tired of being hurt and blamed, like at the pep rally. I think she misses her friends, and she wants her old life back, so she'll tell someone so she have it.

Lebron
by Jason Seper - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 1:46 PM

1. Melinda's "place of refuge" is an old and abandoned janitor's closet in the seniors wing. She describes it as the perfect place for her because she can be alone and away from the people that she doesn't like. "This closet is abandoned-it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me" (Anderson 26).

2. At the pep rally, Melinda is bullied by people that recognized her from a party that happened over the summer. "My throat squeezes shut, as if two hands of black fingernails are clamped on my windpipe. I worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd that hates me for what I had to do" (Anderson 28). I think that she doesn't report the harassment to the school officials because she is afraid that she will be bullied even more if she tells someone. I also think that she does not want to talk about what happened at the party. My friend had a similar experience when her mom died and people at school were giving her a hard time about missing school, but she wasn't ready to tell anyone yet.

5. Melinda paints a tree the week after the pep rally. This is a significant painting because it symbolizes that she wants to cover up what happened at the party over the summer and what mistakes she has made in her life. "Two vertical lines for the trunk. Maybe some thick branches, a bunch of thinner branches, and plenty of leaves to hide the mistakes" (Anderson 32).

8. Melinda's parents react very upset about her grades. Her mom tries to be nice about her grades, but her dad explodes with anger. "Cut the crap. She knows what's up. The interim reports came today. Listen to me, young lady. I'm only going to say this once. You get those grades up or your name is mud. Hear me? Get them up" (Anderson 35,36)! My parents would react differently. Both of my parents would be calm and want to know if there is anything that is distracting me. They would also take away my ipod and gaming systems for a while.

13. I do not think that Melinda will remain silent about what happened at the party because more people are going to recognize her and bully her. I also think that the people that are bullying Melinda will make a rumor throughout Merryweather high. Soon after the rumor spreads Melinda will need to tell someone.
Picture of John McAlpine
McAlpine, Jack September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by John McAlpine - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 5:31 PM

2. "As Heather shakes her pom-poms, the girl yanks my hair" (Anderson 29). When Melinda attends the pep rally she gets mocked and attacked. She doesn't report it because she feels that it is her problem, but it also might make her feel weak. This hasn't really ever happened to me.

4. "It's as if they operate in two realities simultaneously" (Anderson 30). Melinda sees the cheerleaders much like her couch, perfect on one side and dirty on the real side.

5. "For a solid week, ever since the pep rally. I've been painting watercolors of trees that have been hit by lightning" (Anderson 30). Melinda paint almost dead trees for a week. This is a symbolization of her, not dead yet but very close.

6. "She flops on her bed and bursts into sobs" (Anderson 34). Heather starts crying and throws a tantrum when Melinda says that they are nobody. This shows that Heather is someone who feels that she can do anything and doesn't like to be told that can't do it.

7. "She makes us mugs of hot chocolate to take upstairs and tries to convince Heather to invite a whole group of friends for a sleepover" (Anderson 32). Heather's mom, unlike Melinda's, is very involved in her child's life and she talks with Heather person to person and not through notes. She also doesn't let her child totally fend for herself and gives her food and support, but Melinda's has her order food alone and doesn't talk to her.

Mushu!
by Courtney Howell - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 6:02 PM

1. Melinda’s place of refuge is a janitor’s closet that is no longer used, since they have a new lounge and supply room. It is dank, dusty, and in disrepair, but Melinda finds it comforting and sees its potential. “This closet is abandoned – it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me” (Anderson 26).

3. Melinda reveals she had crashed a party thrown by Kyle Rodger by calling the cops. Countless guests, and most likely the host, had gotten in trouble and been arrested. This is the reason everyone, especially her friends, has been excluding and ignoring her. “You don’t understand, my headvoice answers… I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party… I can’t tell them what really happened. I can’t even look at that part of myself” (Anderson 28).

5. For a week after the pep rally, Melinda paints watercolor trees that have been struck by lightning. “I try to paint them so they are nearly dead, but not totally” (Anderson 31). I think this represents her feelings of her life. Struck by a blow so harsh, she feels nearly dead, but is still just alive enough to keep going, barely. This might also be a way for her to try to destroy a memory, where the tree represents the terrible memory and it was struck by lightning in an attempt to obliterate it, but the memory still lives.

10. The Martha’s are a clan that is perfectly coordinated, punctual group of girls who enjoy helping people. Melinda thinks they are perfect for Heather.“The Marthas tackle projects and perform good deeds. This is ideal Heather work” (Anderson 43). I don’t think they will be too big a part of the story, but they may cause Heather to leave Melinda behind to be part of their group. I don’t think I have ever known a Martha by what is exactly the description from the book, but I swear some of the girls I have met coordinate their outfits before school. I have also met people who are good with crafty things and some who do almost too much charity work, but not all three traits in one person.

13. Melinda will continue to remain silent about what happened at the party because she is afraid, and fear clouds anyone’s judgment. I believe by the end of the book she will reveal the truth, but I am sure this novel is named Speak because she learns how to overcome her silence and speak the whole truth. She has been working on staying silent, but I have a feeling she will not be able to contain it anymore and will tell someone. “I curve up the corners of my mouth without biting my lips. A small step” (Anderson 27).

Picture of Charlotte Carmichael
Carmichael, Charlotte September 11,2010 p.24-46
by Charlotte Carmichael - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 8:22 PM

4. Melinda veiws the cheerleaders as a group of girls with perfect lives the complete opposite from her own. they are popular, date all the guys, have cars, etc. "In one universe, they are gorgeous, straight-teethed, long-leeged, wrapped in designer fashions, and given sports cars for their sixteenth birthdays" (Anderson 30).

7. Heather and Melinda's homes ae very different form one another. Heather's mom is always around when Melinda comes over, offering to make them snacks and asking what Melinda does outside of school. Melinda, on the other hand, barely speaks to her parents, and if Heather ever came over, they probably wouldn't even notice. "Heather's mom acts very excited to see me. She makes us mugs of hot chocolate to take upstairs and tries to convince Heather to invite a whole group over for a sleepover" (Anderson 32).

8. Melinda's parents react in a similar to how mine would about my grades. Melinda's parents are angry that she is not trying her hardest and are trying to push her to do the best that she can." 'We're not asking for much, dear. We just want you to do you best. and we know your best is much better than this' " (Anderson 36).

10. The Martha's are a group of girls who are complete and utter perfectionists. "It's an expensive clan to run with; outfits must be coordinated, crisp,and seasonally appropriate" (Anderson 42).They worship Martha Stewart and love crafts and interior design. They are important to the story because I think that they show Heather's personality. Heather is a follower and not a leader. Joining the Martha's and turning on Melinda definately shows this. My mom is sort of a Martha from the aspect that she loves crafts and everything has to be just so for her.

12. I think IT is something awful. I think that It has something to do with the party at the end of the summer. I think that IT might be the reason that Melinda had to call the cops adn everyone got in trouble. Melinda is Afraid of IT and can't even bair thinking about IT. " IT is my nightmare adn i can't wake up" (Anderson 45). 

Picture of Elizabeth Potter
by Elizabeth Potter - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 10:41 AM

3. Melinda reveals that in the preceding summer, she called the cops at Kyle Rodger's party. People think that she wrecked the party on purpose, and that is why everyone is mad at her. "You don't understand," (Anderson 28) Melinda says. I think that she really didn't mean to do it, and that something bad happened.

4. Melinda views the cheerleaders as double-life-leading annoying girls. Under the eyes of parents and teachers, "they are gorgeous, straight teethed, long legged, wrapped in designer fashions, and given sports cars on their sixteenth birthday," (Anderson 30). In their other world, they are getting into all kinds of things that "perfect" girls would not normally do.

6. When Melinda goes over to Heather's house on Columbus day, Heather has a little tantrum about not fitting in with the high school, and how they can't do the musical because they aren't popular enough or in the right group. When Melinda says "We are nobody" (Anderson 34), that really makes her mad. I think that this tells us that Heather wants everything to be perfect, and that she really wants to fit in.

7. Heather's and Melinda's homes are very different. I think that Heather's parents might care a little bit more about how she lives and her personal life. Melinda's parent's seem to be content on just letting her do her own thing and not getting very involved. "Heather's mom acts very excited to see me. She makes us mugs of hot chocolate and tries to convince Heather to invite a whole group for a sleepover" (Anderson 32). I could not see Melinda's parents doing that.

13. I think that Melinda will continue to remain silent about what happened at the party for a while. She doesn't want anyone to konw. I do think that IT has something to do with it. "IT smiles and winks. Good things my lips are stiched together or I'd throw up" (Anderson 46). She is very afraid of him, so maybe she is worrying that if she tells someone what happened at the party he or somebody else would do something to her.
Picture of Ksenia Serdyukov
by Ksenia Serdyukov - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 12:56 PM

1) Melinda's place of refuge is an abandoned janitors closet. It shows signs of neglect, like nobody has stepped inside for years. As Melinda says, "This closet is abandoned-it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me" (Anderson 26). She had stumbled upon this place by chance; avoiding Mr. Neck.

3) Melinda reveals that she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Clearly, this party was a horrible experience for her, probably the reason she is so depressed and desperate to fit in again; “I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party, and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd who hates me for what I had to do. I can’t tell them what really happened” (Anderson 28). Her friends and people she used to know shun her for the actions she took.

4) From Melinda's point of view, the cheerleaders are living double lives, "as if they operate in two realities simultaneously" (Anderson 30). In one world, they are perfect, rich, and popular. However, in another, they throw crazy parties, go completely out of control, and lose it to a point of extreme chaos.

5) Melinda paints two very different trees after the pep rally. On one hand, she obsessively creates trees that have been hit by lightning, attempting "...to paint them so they are nearly dead, but not totally" (Anderson 31). This shows how Melinda feels about herself, now that the flood of memories from the party has come back. On the other hand, she draws relatively simple trees, “Two vertical lines for the trunk. Maybe some thick branches, a bunch of little branches, and plenty of leaves to hide the mistakes” (Anderson 32). This represents Melinda wanting so badly to hide all of her mistakes, too.

6) When Melinda visits Heather on Columbus day, she is further informed on The Plan. When Heather proposes to audition for the school musical, Melinda immediately turns the offer down. She explains that only the popular cliques actually receive roles, promptly reminding Heather of their social status; “We are nobody” (Anderson 34). Heather bursts into tears, exclaiming how these popularity and social rules are unfair. This shows that Heather is from a very small town in Ohio, where everybody grew up with each other. The cliques at her former school were probably not as exclusive as Merry Weather High's.
COLORFUL!
by Jessica Webb - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 1:37 PM

3. Melinda reveals that she called the cops at Kyle Rodger's party. She also reveals something happened to make her call, but she doesn't reveal what. "You don't understand, my headvoice answers. Too bad she can't hear it," (Anderson 28).

4. Melinda sees the cheerleaders as having two different worlds, much like she has. In one world, they are perfect; beautiful, charming, fashionable... But, in another world, they throw wild parties and hang out with college students.I think reflects on her own two worlds, like the cushions.

10. The Marthas are a group of people who are very organized, wear matching outfits, help people, and like rules. I think they are symbolic to the story because Melinda criticizes them so much but i secretly think she wants to be one.

12. IT symbolizes the bad thing that is haunting her about the party. IT is teasing her because only she and IT know, but she desperately wants to tell people what happened. "IT sees me. IT smiles and winks," (Anderson 46).

13. Melinda will continue to be silent about what happened because she is afraid. She is tore because she needs to tell someone but at the same time it seems easier that no one knows."I can't tell them what really happened," (Anderson 28).
Picture of Sonja Hartmann
by Sonja Hartmann - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 2:04 PM

1. Melinda's "place of refugee" is an abandoned janitor's closet in the Seniors' Wing she stumbles upon when running from Mr. Neck. It is smelly and dirty, but also quiet and unknown. This closet seems like the perfect place for Melinda to resort to when she needs to escape the outside world, whether it be an annoying teacher or bullying student. When Melinda says "this closet is abandoned - it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me" I think she is also referring to herself (Anderson 26). She feels abandoned by her "friends" and maybe wishes she had no name, as in no reputation.

3. Melinda reveals that during the preceding summer she called the cops at Kyle Rodger's party and got several people arrested. This is the main cause of all the bullying she's receiving from her peers, but she also reveals that something else went on at the party, something she deems unspeakable. Melinda is unable to come to terms with whatever went on at that party. "You don't understand, my headvoice answers.... and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd that hates me for what i had to do" (Anderson 28).

5. The week after the pep rally in art class Melinda paints her tree being struck by lightning. "I try to paint them so they are nearly dead, but not totally.... One picture is so dark you can barely see the tree at all" (Anderson 31). I think this represents how Melinda feels. She's been shunned and bullied, making her feel nearly dead, but still clinging to life. She says the pictures are dark, symbolizing the dark things that went on the past summer and the shadowy truth that only she knows. She's upset but not one to show emotion, so her paintings are really expressive of what's going on.

7. Heather and Melinda's homes are very different. Heather's mother is extremely caring and supportive, while Melinda's is barely in the picture. Heather's mom seems involved in her daughter's social life and concerned about her future. While Melinda's mother is certainly not as present, she does seem concerned about Melinda's future when she steps in to talk about Melinda's grades. Both families have different ways of interacting, but the parents do seem to care for their daughters in each predicament.

8. When Melinda's slipping grades reach her parents, they are less than thrilled. They express their disappointment and expectations angrily, but Melinda's mother tries to keep things calm and polite. Her father's approach is more aggressive: "You get those grades up or your name is mud! Hear me? Get them up!" and her mother's is more motherly: "We're not asking for much dear. We just want you to do your best. And we know your best is much better than this" (Anderson 36). In a similar situation my parents would probably address this in a more united front, asking me what is going on and trying to help me fix things, but still saying they expect more from me and they know I'm capable.
Picture of Brigid Winn
by Brigid Winn - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 2:22 PM

1.    Melinda’s place of refugee is the old janitor’s closet.  She explains it as an old, dusty, and dirty room.

2.    When Melinda visits Heather’s house Heather flips out because she feels that she has no friends and Melinda is stubborn about entering any clubs. This triggers her to throw a tantrum.  This reveals that Heather hates to feel left out and wants to be involved. It also shows that she feels bad about criticizing people and hurting their feelings, because she apologized to Melinda after the crying.

3.    Heather and Melinda have different home experiences.  Heather is always in contact with her parents and she seems to have the best of the best. On the other hand Melinda barely sees her parents.

4.    Melinda’s parents were not pleased with her grades, so they sat her down to discuss what was expected of her. This is exactly what would happen if I were to get these grades. Although my parents probably wouldn’t yell at each other, and I would have some sort of punishment.

5.    The Martha’s is a group that is in a way perfect. They have specifications for their clothes, and participate in a lot of service work. I don’t know anyone that is exactly like that, but I have something in common with the Martha’s because I enjoy doing service work.

Picture of Miranda Salo
Salo, Miranda September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by Miranda Salo - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 2:26 PM

2. When Melinda attends the pep rally, she freezes when accused by other girls for calling the police at the party. She isn’t able to defend herself or explain. “My throat squeezes shut, as if two hands of black fingernails are clamped on my windpipe” (Anderson 28). The girls then continue to assault her by jamming knees into her back and pulling her hair.

3. Melinda reveals that she is the one who called the cops during Kyle Rodgers’s party. “You don’t understand, my headvoice answers” (Anderson 28). She also reveals that something bad happened to make her call, but not what that something is.

7. In Melinda’s home, there seems to be very weak and distant relationships between family members. In contrast, Heather’s family seems to be very supportive and close. Heather’s mother seems to want a perfect home. Heather’s room “looks like a commercial for vacuum cleaners” (Anderson 32).

8. Melinda’s parents seem to freak out and overact about her bad grades. They expect her to work harder and earn higher marks. Melinda’s dad says, “You get those grades up or your name is mud. Hear me? Get them up!” (Anderson 36). I think that my parents wouldn’t react positively, but wouldn’t be that drastic. They would expect me to do my best.

13. I think that Melinda will not remain silent about what happened at the party. She will eventually reach a boiling point and will have to confide in somebody. She needs to find somebody she can trust, but she hasn’t yet. “For a minute she looks like she’ll defend me… Don’t say anything” (Anderson 28).

Picture of Camille Mercier
by Camille Mercier - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 3:03 PM

2. What happens to Melinda when she attends the pep rally is that everyone relizes who she is and starts being rather mean to her. "The girl behind me jams her knees into my back. They are as sharp as her findernails" is an example of what happens. (Anderson 29) I think why she doesn't report it is that people hate her enough already. If she tattles, people will beleive more than ever that she is a tattler and weak. Something similar to that happened to me woth my sister a ling time ago. I couldn't say anything because I knew if told, she would hate me, she would think I am a baby, and my parents might not beleive me.

5. For a solid week after the pep rally, all Melinda paints are "watercolors of trees that have been hit by lightning". (Anderson 30) I think that this is significant since it probably represents her. Right now, she has been struck by lightning (not in a good way) and is practically dead. She is hurt by how people act around her, and it is slowly killing her on the inside.

6. What happens when Melinda visits Heather on Columbus Day is that Heather makes a big deal about wanting to join the musical. But then, Melinda says " 'We are nobody' " and Heather gets upset and starts having a fit. (Anderson 34) She says that everyone says that and that Melinda doesn't even care. I think this shows that Heather doesn't really care about things and other people as long as they go HER way. As soon as somthing goes wrong, she goes into a little kid temper tantrum. That shows that she is rather spoiled.

7. Heather and Melinda's homes and lifes are total opposites. On one side there is Heather's life, all perfect with the mom that "makes mugs of hot chocolate to take upstairs". (Anderson 32) And then there is Melinda's home where basically her personality is a secret. Her parents didn't really know her and probably don't care as long as she keeps her grades up. Even the couch is completly stained on one side and perfect on the other.

13. I don't think Melinda will keep silent about what happened at the party. Whatever happened there seems too big to keep a secret. And then she sees IT, who probably has a lot to do with the secret, and her reaction is horrendous. She says "IT sees me. IT smiles and winks. Good thing my lips a sealed, or I'd throw up".(Anderson 46)

That's right. I id this.
by Benjamin Pharris - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 3:17 PM

6. When Melinda visits Heather they get to talking and Melinda says “We are nobody” (Anderson 34) Heather begins crying about how many friends she had in Ohio and how popular she was there and how easy life was. Heather has another outburst and Melinda leaves. This shows that heather is very conceded and self-centered and hates being left out.

7. The home lives of Melinda and Heather are very different. Melinda has a very detached life and her home is simply the place where she lives. Heather’s house is like Pottery Barn, neat and nice and decorated. Heather’s parents seem to care a lot more than Melinda’s. "Her bookcase has glass doors. She has a television and a phone, and her homework is neatly laid out on her desk" (Anderson 33) This quote also shows that Heather’s parents have more money than Melinda’s.

8. Melinda’s mother is very calm about her grades, probing to see how on edge her daughter is, while her father explodes and is completely freaked out. In a similar situation my parents would act similarly except not as drastically. My mother would be calm whereas my dad would be more direct.

10. The Martha’s are the people who live a lot like Martha Stewart. “This is ideal Heather work” (Anderson 43) they are coordinated and organized and preppy. They are significant to the story because Melinda is nothing like them and Heather is pretty much their model. I am certainly not a Martha and I do not know anyone who is.

13. I think she will continue to be silent about what happened at the party because, although, it would make people hate her less for calling the police she is very embarrassed by it and thinks the harassment is easier to deal with than the loss of her dignity.
Picture of William Krebs
by William Krebs - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 3:53 PM

1. Melinda's place of refuge is an abandoned janitor's closet in the senior's wing. She describes it as a dirty closet full of stuff. "A cracked mirror tilts over a sink
littered with dead roaches crocheted together with cobweb" (Anderson 25).
3. Melinda reveals that the proceeding summer, she had called the cops on someones party. Most of the people got in trouble or arrested. "I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party, and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd that hates me for what I had to do" (Anderson 28)
6. When Melinda visits Heather on Columbus day, Melinda says that they probably won't get into the musical, and Heather gets really sad. "She flops on her bed and bursts into sobs" (Anderson 34). This tells you that Heather is kind of sad that she moved there because she is not accepted as she was at her old school, it also tells you that she gets upset really easily.
10. the Marthas are a group of people who are like Martha Stewart. They like decorating things and wearing stuff that matches and is seasonal and being nice to teachers. "The Marthas tackle projects and preform good deeds" (Anderson 43). They are important because they are the group that Heather is trying to be part of. Ms. Pro is a Martha. She always decorates stuff and she really likes Martha Stewart.
13. I think Melinda will continue to keep quiet abpout the party. "I can't tell them what really happened" (Anderson 28).
snow tiger
by Alexandra Russo - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 6:27 PM

1. Melinda's place of refuge is a place where not many people would think of as a place like that. Actually it is an old janitors closet. It has things like any other janitors closet would have like: old text books, bottles of bleach, mops, and some brooms. Melinda believes that no janitor has been in there for years because not only does it look like it but there is a new lounge and supply room by the loading dock. "No janitor has chilled in this closet for a very long time" (Anderson 26). Melinda is going to clean up her closet so then she will be able to chill in something that isn't covered with filth.

2. The thing that happened to Melinda at a pep rally is something that would be horrible for anyone. She was reminded of the party that happened over the summer. One girls made it very clear that Melinda was the girl who called the cops. Another girl got mad at Melinda because her brother got arrested at that party because of Melinda. She probably didn't report them to the school's office because she doesn't want anyone who has forgotten about the party to remember and she doesn't want to do anything that could hurt heather's plan. " For a minute it looks like she'll defend me. No, no, she won't. It might interfere with her Plan" (Anderson 28).
At my old school my friend was being bullied because she failed a latin test about the alphabet, but she didn't tell the office because she didn't want the news about her grade getting back to her parents.

4. Melinda thinks that the cheerleaders are these girls with two completely different personalities depending on which universe they are in. At school they are the beautiful, sweet girls who can slip by with their grades because the teachers grade them on a curve. Yet, on the weekends they party and do things that no one would dare accuse them of doing. In other words Melinda thinks the cheerleaders are girls with the perfect lives and they never have any problems.

5. After the pep rally Melinda is focused on painting water colored trees. However these trees are getting struck by lightning. I think this is very symbolic because it seems like she is painting part of her life. I know whenever I paint or draw a picture it normally connects to my life in many ways. I think the author might be thinking about this in the same way. I also think that her painting is connected to her life because of the state she has tree in it makes me think that is how she feels. " I try to paint them so they are nearly dead, but not totally" (Anderson 30).

7. Melinda's home life and Heather's home life are completely opposite of each other. Heather is very connected with her mom and her mom is always around and seems like she tries to help Heather whenever she needs help. On the other hand, Melinda doesn't really see her mom or dad. She has her own way of communication with mom, and that is with notes. So its kinda sad because Melinda doesn't really have really conversations with her mom. Heather also would probably never meet Melinda's mom and Melinda's mom would be fine with it. However, "Heather's mom acts very excited to see me" (Anderson 32)
Kingdom Hearts
Deepak Bhat - September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by Deepak Bhat - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 7:53 PM

2. At the pep rally, Melinda is confronted by a girl. She reminds her of the end-of-summer incident and creates a big scene in front of anyone. "Girl: 'Aren't you the one who called he cops at Kyle Rodger's party at the end of the summer" (Anderson 27)? Another girl joined and blamed Melinda for her brother's arrest. I think the reason for not reporting the harrassment to the school officials is because then they will ask why she called the cops and she doesn't want to spill it out. She also doesn't want people to hate her more. I don't remember myself in a similair situation and I'll never want to.

3. Melinda reveals the incident that happened at Kyle Rodger's end-of-summer party, and that she called the cops. It pilt out to everyone around them. "Melinda: ' A block of ice freezes our section of the bleachers. Heads snap in my direction with the sound of a hundred paparazzi cameras" (Anderson 28).

Kingdom Hearts
Re: Deepak Bhat - September 10, 2010 - P. 24-46
by Deepak Bhat - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 8:57 PM

5. Melinda paints trees getting struck by lightning. "Melinda: '... I've been painting watercolors of trees that have been hit by lightning'" (Anderson 30). This shows her mood and emotions, and that she is feeling sad and fustrated.

8. Melinda's parents get really mad and fustrated at her grades. They scolded her and threatened her to do better. "Melinda's Dad: 'You get those grades up or your name is mud'" (Anderson 35-36). If I was in the same situation, my parents would mentally kill me and ground me big time. They are SUPER serious about my grades.

10. The Marthas are like the Student Counsel people who like to tackle projects and run events, like fundraisers and walkathons. They also like doing good deeds and helping others, like tutoring kids in the city. "Melinda: 'The Marthas tackle projects and perform good deeds'" (Anderson 43). I am a little Martha because I love doing good deeds and helping others.

Picture of Mikayla Litt
by Mikayla Litt - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 7:49 PM

1. Melinda's place of refuge is an old janitor's closet that she describes as a place "...that smells like sour sponges" (Anderson 25). She also says it has furniture such as an armchair, a desk, shelves with books, and a cracked mirror. All of which were not in good condition.

3. Melinda reveals that during the previous summer, she was at Kyle Rodger's party and she called the police after something happened. Her calling the police lead to some people being arrested as well. For example, one girl says to Melinda, "My brother got arrested at that party" (Anderson 28).

7. Heather and Melinda's homes and families are very different. Heather's family is very involved with eachother and neat. This is shown when Heather's mom "...tries to convince Heather to invite a whole group for a sleepover" (Anderson 32). Whereas, Melinda's family never has sit down face-to-face conversations and don't tell eachother everything. As for their homes, Heather's has her familie's neat and orderly style, and Melinda's is messier and more secretive.

8. Melinda's parents are extremely upset with her and expect her to put more effort into her schoolwork. They also tell her "...get those grades up or your name is in the mud" (Anderson 36). My parents would react the exact same way with me if I was in that situation.

13. I think Melinda will remain silent about what happened at the party for a while longer since her "lips are stitched together" (Anderson 46). Although I do think that she eventually will speak up and tell people what happened.
Picture of Jackson Engles
by Jackson Engles - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 7:50 PM

1. Melinda's place of refuge is an old, grimy, and dusty janitor lounge with a chair, some pictures covering what she described as "A cracked mirror tilted over a sink littered with dead roaches crocheted together with cobweb" (Anderson 25)and some cleaning supplies. The reason she can use it is because the janitors got a new cleaner and nicer lounge where they spend there time.

3. When Melinda is in the bleachers at the pep rally she reveals that she is the one who called the cops at a great party during the summer. By doing this she ends up in her own words in a hostile crowd that hates her. "I have worked so hard to forget every second of that stupid party, and here I am in the middle of a hostile crowd that hates me for what I had to do" (Anderson 28)

8. Melinda's parents freak out about here grades "tanking" her dad says “You get those grades up or your name is mud. Hear me? Get them up!” (Anderson 36). Compared to me that is a lot like what would happen with me and my parents(except without the mud part)they would ask me why they were down so low and then tell me i had to get them up.

10. The Martha's are the "clique" that tries to almost act like Martha Stewart, with the color/season coordinated outfits, being nice to the teachers, and "...tackling projects and preforming good deeds" (Anderson 43).

13.I think that there is no way that she will keep silent about what happened at the party. The reason for it being that it torments her so much that she wont be able to hold it in for ever. But I also think that it will take time for her. for example the quote "I can't tell them what really happened" (Anderson 28).
Picture of Mitchell Webster
by Mitchell Webster - Sunday, September 12, 2010, 8:50 PM

1. Melinda's place of refuge was an abandoned janitor's closet that smelled like sour sponges. This place was dusty with text books and bleach, cracked mirrors, and had cockroaches in cob webs near the old sink (Anderson 26).

2. At, the pep rally, it is revealed that she was the one who made the phone call to the cops. Melinda does not want to report about the harassment because she does not want people to hate her even more (Anderson 27-29).

3. Melinda reveals that she is the person who called the cops during the summer party (Anderson 27-28).

8. When Melinda's parents find out about her bad grades, they are a little upset, but they really just want for her to do her best (Anderson 35-36). If i were to have grades like this, they would acted like Melinda's parents except I would get stuff taken away from me.

12. I think that "IT" symbolizes somebody who has done something haremful to her at the party which has caused her great pain (Anderson 45-46).

Picture of Alexis Hodge
by Alexis Hodge - Monday, September 13, 2010, 12:04 AM

1. During Melinda's escape from Mr. Neck, she stumbled upon an abandoned janitor's closet in which she took refuge. It seemed perfect to Melinda, "This closet is abandoned - it has no purpose, no name. It is perfect for me" (Anderson 26).

4. The cheerleaders of Merryweather High School are viewed by a fair portion of the school as the top of the food chain. They throw the best parties, date the best football players, and they have it all. Though the girl's actions often subject themselves to a reputation of both popularity and vulgarity. "But they are so cute. And they cheer on our boys, inciting them to violence and, we hope, victory. These are our role models - the Girls Who Have It All" (Anderson 30).

7. Melinda and Heather each have very different house holds. When Melinda is invited to Heather's, she is often greeted with a warm smile and often snacks. Heather's mother quotes "Maybe Mellie could bring some of her friends" while suggesting a sleepover for the girls (Anderson 32). Though in Melinda's home, her family rarely talks unless neccessary. Physical communication or contact is typically avoided as much as possible.

8. Due to discovering Melinda's poor grades, her parents are infuriated. Insisting that she isn't living up to her potential and that she will do better in the future, they sound very similar to my parents. According to Mr. and Mrs. Hodge, anything below and A is considered failure and failure is not an option. I continuously bring home A and B report cards, which I believe any other set of parents would be proud of, and yet my parents always acknowledge their dissapointment. Neither accept excuses as demonstrated by Melinda's father when he stated "Cut the crap. She knows whats up" (Anderson 35). Fortuantely, Melinda and I know exactly what we are capable of, whether or not we choose to refelect such in our grades.

10. The Martha's are a do-gooder type clan that participates in vigorous volunteer work. They have currently put both Heather and Melinda on trial for admition into the clique though it seems as though they simply wamt a break from their responibilites for a while. Fortunately, not a single one of my friends is a Martha. We are the typical middle school clique: the jocks, the dorky wanna-be jocks, the girly-girls, and last but not least, the obnoxious people. We are a wide array of personalities but not one of us is a Martha . . . thank gosh.

Nyan cat! :D
by Timothy Rooney - Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 12:12 PM

1. Melinda's place of refuge is an abandoned janitor's closet. "This place was dusty with text books and bleach, cracked mirrors, and had cockroaches in cob webs near the old sink" (Anderson 26).

2. When Melinda attends the pep rally, she is accused by other girls for calling the police at the party. She isn’t able to defend herself or explain. “My throat squeezes shut, as if two hands of black fingernails are clamped on my windpipe” (Anderson 28). The girls then continue to assault her by jamming knees into her back and pulling her hair.

8. Melinda's parents react to her grades by getting very upset. Her mom is a little kinder when she speaks to Melinda, but her dad is pretty forceful. If my parents were in that same situation, they would definitely say that I needed to get them up, and would take away multiple privileges until I did (I know this because it happened to me before).

5. Melinda paints another tree, but this time it is symbolic to what she is feeling, even though she doesn’t think so. “Two vertical lines for the trunk. Maybe some thick branches, a bunch of little branches, and plenty of leaves to hide the mistakes” (Anderson 32). When she says there will be leaves to hide the mistakes she is making a comparison between herself and the tree. The cheerleaders have made her feel imperfect and ugly so when she drew the tree she wants to cover up all her mistakes and try to forget that what happened at the party ever happened.

13. I don’t think that Melinda will continue to keep silent about what happened at the party because the title of the book is Speak which makes me think Melinda is going to tell someone. I don’t think she can stop from releasing all the pressure from what happened from inside.